Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Lone Pine Mountain Devil

Monster Number 3: The Lone Pine Mountain Devil

  The Lone Pine Mountain Devil (we'll call it the Mountain Devil) is a monster right out of California folklore. I was personally surprised to find this monster. I've always been obsessed with California monsters and folklore, so why hadn't I ever heard about this creature?
    Many people talk of its similarities to the Jersey Devil. To me it doesn't seem that they have so much in common, they have bat wings and they both have Devil in their names but that's where the similarities end. The Mountain devil is probably best described as a dinosaur -- sort of like a velociraptor --  with bat wings attached to its arms, lot's of fur, feathers, and sharp teeth.  And yes just like any good little carnivore they eat meat. Especially meat stupid enough to walk right into the middle of their pack. In case you still didn't get that, they have been documented eating people before.
    Still don't think that's scary? The Mountain Devils are best known for the incident in the Sierra Nevadas in 1878. It was a priest that documented what happened. Though I will be the first to readily admit that this was a priest I have to imagine that these really did look like "Winged demons". I can't blame the dude, I mean, seeing something like that would've scared the you-know-what outta me.
   Despite all of the scary stories about the Mountain Devil many people believe that it is a protector of the forest. And lots of humans, as most of us know, live to build new settlements. Where do we put these settlements? On undeveloped land. And where's most of the undeveloped land with good climates? The forest. So you can see why they want to kill us when we are encroaching on them.
   These are some badass monsters and kudos to them. Protect the forests, am I right? If they could lay off the killing people that would be cool. Seriously though, I think these things are scary.
Credit for this image goes to:


Credit for the info in this post goes to:

To learn more bout this monster please go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment